I’m working on a little theory here; let me know what you think.
I’ll state it here as a bold statement:
The very best ukulele songs involve either sunshine or moonlight.
They don’t have to be ABOUT sunshine or moonlight, specifically, but the sunshine or moonlight has to play a prominent part.
Daring? Bold? Right? Wrong?
Here are a few of my faves (click for video):
- Blue Bayou (“the silver moon on the evening tide”)
- There Ought to Be a Moonlight Savings Time
- I Can See Clearly Now (“bright, bright sunshiney day” — may be the PERFECT ukulele song…)
- Sumpin’ Good’ll Come from That (“gee the moon is yella”)
- Livin’ in the Sunlight, Lovin’ in the Moonlight – One of my very favorites, and, just saying, it features both sunshine AND moonlight.
Or course, it may be, that it’s just there are a lot of good songs in general that involve sunshine or moonlight. But an awful lot of them do sound awfully good on the uke.
Got a song to add to the list?
Add your faves to this thread over at Facebook.
Meantime, keep livin’ in the sunlight.
And, more importantly, keep loving’ in the moonlight!